Membership of the Conchological Society is open to anyone. The Society has a range of types of membership. All members are entitled to attend all Society meetings and field meetings, and will receive the Society publications listed below. Members will also receive a copy of the Members' Guide which is published approximately every three years. This includes members' names and interests, and other useful information:
- Ordinary members: one copy of each publication (see below); can vote at Society meetings - £33
- Student in full time education: one copy of each publication; may not vote at meetings - £15
- Junior membership (under 18): one copy of each Mollusc World (no Journal of Conchology) - £5
- Family / joint (two individuals at the same address): one issue of each publication between them; both may vote - £35
An extra postage charge will be added for overseas members: £8 for European addresses, £17 for the rest of the world.
- Institutional subscribers - one copy of each publication: no voting rights, but may send individuals to meetings - £47
An extra postage charge will be added for overseas subscribers: £7 for European addresses, £15 for the rest of the world.
Publications sent to members and subscribers
Three issues of Mollusc World. This is a glossy full colour newsletter, which includes articles on all aspects of Molluscs from archaeology to life in the sea, field collecting at home and abroad and even eating molluscs. It also provides updates on field meetings, research news, results from the mapping schemes and identification keys.
Two issues of the Journal of Conchology. This contains scientific papers and short communications on molluscs with emphasis on promoting conservation, biogeography and taxonomy. The contents cover, typically, descriptions of new species from anywhere in the world and reports concerning the ecology, distribution and status of molluscs. Both living and fossil molluscs are dealt with.
In addition, the Society is generally increasing the amount of material available on-line and a portion of this and some of the on-line facilities is only available to Society members.
Membership runs from 1 January to 31 December, but payment can be accepted at any time. Payment can be accepted by:
- On-line transaction: Pay on-line using Paypal.
- Standing Order or internet/telephone bank transfer. Please contact the membership secretary email@example.com to get details of the Society's bank account. Use your membership number and name as the reference for renewals or a contact name and phone number for new members.
- Sterling cheque, made out to The Conchological Society: please send to Membership Secretary at The Mill House, Drewsteignton, Exeter, EX6 6QE